Saturday, May 23, 2015

Girly Hip Hop Cake 2






When we started doing birthday parties at the dance studio, all the girls wanted ballet cakes. Check out girly ballet cakes one, two, and three! With the second hip hop cake in a row, is this the start of a new trend? Coming up with the designs for a hip hop cake can be a little more challenging as you can't fall back on ballet slippers and tutus if you don't want to make a whole dancer, but so far they are turning out great! The simple boom box I added this time really popped and was super cute! I also did a more simplified dancer's silhouette than last time. Outlining all the little details of hair, clothes, and shoes in life like silhouette can be a bit tedious. As I wasn't sure of the birthday girl's color scheme when I made this one, I repeated my neon colors on a chocolate background from the last hip hop cake since it went over so well. See the first girly hip hop cake here.

Though I've mentioned them in past cake decorating posts before, here are a few tips: 1. Freeze the cake before frosting. This will reduce crumbs.  2. Draw your design in the frosting with a toothpick (I actually used an unbent paper clip this time) before you draw it in frosting. You can get a feel of how everything is supposed to fit, and if you make a mistake, you can just smooth it out with your frosting spatula and start again. 3. For a fun cake board, cover with wrapping paper, and then wax paper. 

For my border I just used my largest star tip and did fat stars in alternating colors. Due to only having one of each decorating tip that I needed, I decorated with one color at time, so you just kind of have to eyeball how much space to leave for the other colors on the border. On the last color you just make the star as big or as small as it needs to be to fill the remaining space, and it usually works out!

Happy Birthday Makenzi! I hope your birthday was dance-tastic!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...